Friday, July 27, 2012

Feeling Reminiscent

It's hard to believe that one year ago today, my husband and I were sitting down to enjoy our last night of single-hood. A tradition that I have fallen in love with over the years is one that Christopher's mom started. Every year on his birthday, she tells him the story of his birth - from the time her water broke until he was born! It was something that I couldn't wait to do with my children, and it seems strange that it's actually time.

As I put Evey to sleep tonight, I started telling her about her birth. This time last year, we had BIG plans! We had dinner with Nana and Flash and planned on hitting the Kentucky Theater with Uncle Joel and Aunt Renee for retro-movie night. "The Princess Bride" was playing and it had been ages. We were going to get popcorn and root beer and enjoy our last night of relaxation!

It didn't happen... We got so carried away imagining how the table would look with two high chairs and two squirming, sweet babies. Not only was it our last night of being single, it was also the family's last night as a foursome. We'd soon be six! By the time we realized how late it had gotten, the theater was sold out and our plans had gone out the window.

We suggested going through with the plan at our house. We owned the movie and could pick up the necessary items, but Renee and Joel passed. They had to be at the hospital by 11pm and decided it was probably wise to get some rest before their lives changed for ever.

Christopher and I went the opposite direction. We were excited about our plans! We stopped at Kroger on the way home and bought some IBC's and Orville Redenbacher's and headed home to spend our last night of freedom just "as we wished!"

The excitement was quickly trumped by my ever-so-pregnant body, and I fell asleep before Princess Buttercup was even captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts. And, I slept SO great! Surprisingly great!


It was an amazing way to send off our couple-dom, and it makes for a fun story to tell my baby every year as she goes from infant to toddler, and so on. It's also amazing to think that I've been a Mommy for one year. I couldn't be happier that Christopher and I get to share our lives with such an awesome little girl. If she has changed my life this much in one year, I can't wait to see the years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment