Thursday, June 21, 2012

Finch Reunion

 
To get you to understand this blog, I have to start at the beginning... literally. Both of my parents families are small. My dad had 3 siblings and my mom only had 2. I always wanted a huge family, perhaps because mine seemed so small. Not that small is bad. I love spending time with my with my extended family. I love knowing that I'm a part of something and what is better than family?!? When I married Christopher, I was thrilled to be able to say I was a part of his family. On his dad's side, I gained a grandmother, a great aunt, two aunts and uncles and five cousins.

His mom's side confirmed everything in me that wanted a large family. Cathy was one of five children and we have so much fun at family reunions! After all the marriages, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, Evey and Harrison made numbers 36 and 37! Between girlfriends and boyfriends, that number is ever growing. The crazy part is how close they all are! The Finch's are definitely not your average American family, but who wants to be normal?

Renee and I announced that we were pregnant at the Finch Christmas celebration, a year and a half ago. In a crowd that big, of course we weren't the first... or the second... Meemaw and Pepaw Finch were gaining FOUR great-grandchildren in one year! The first, Quentin was born on Gordon's birthday in March. The second, Cara, was born July 1st and Evey and Harrison were born July 28th and 29th! What an amazing year it was for the Finch family!

Cathy's only sister, Paula and her family live in Virginia. Even though they live so far away, they still stay in touch and are just as close-knit as the rest of the family. Renee was able to go to them to introduce Harrison in the fall, but Christopher and I had been wondering when we'd get the chance to finally introduce Evey to the last bit of her family. I know Aunt Paula had been dying to meet her as well! Over memorial day, she finally made it to town. So we packed our bags for the day and made our way to Bardstown for a mini-reunion!

When we arrived, Evey hadn't slept. That is abnormal. Typically, she falls asleep as soon as we hit the interstate. If you've spent time time with Evey, or followed my blog, you know she's a Momma's girl. Over the past month, she's starting to out-grow her stranger-danger anxieties, but on that day she was in rare form. She was tired from screaming for an hour in the car. She was hungry and she just wanted me. We coerced her into Paula's lap with a baked-bean-bribery and after that she was set.

Paula knew the way into my girl's heart!






We still have a couple Finch birds to introduce Evey to, but that will come with time! (AKA: Rebekah, Paul and George need to come with Paula on the next visit!!) We had a blast. The day was gorgeous, in the shade and the company was great!




Nana spoiled Evey and Harrison and gave them their first High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup-Pop. They loved it!








Evey was drenched in orange all the way through her diaper, so we slapped on a swimsuit and plopped her in the pool! 










Not only was this the first time Evey got to meet her Great-Aunt Paula, but it was the first time we had all 2012 babies together. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I... the Mom who takes thousands of pictures... did not get a picture of all four of them. Cara was born with loads of dark brown hair. It's hard to believe that she's only a month older than E.

Quentin and Evey got to meet at Christmas this year. and he was pulling up to stand. Physically, he was where Evey is now... it was neat to see how much he'd grown! I also came home without a picture of Quentin's face. Good thing I've got some family to steal photos from!





No comments:

Post a Comment